Hey guys, happy Hump Day! Have you ever been gotten yourself into one of those moods that no matter what you do you just can’t seem to shake it? Of course you have, everyone has! & While it’s completely normal to just feel-blah-every once in awhile it’s also a total bummer. Sometimes you just need a little creative tactics to get you out of your funk.
Here’s my go-to list of instant mood boosters
- Turn on a steamy shower and add essential oils. The steam plus the scent is basically like having your own personal sauna. My favorite uplifting scents are lemon, cinnamon, lemongrass, rosemary, and mint.
- Get moving. Even a few minutes of exercise gives off those feel-good endorphin’s. It doesn’t have to be an intense sweat session either, simply taking a short walk out in the sun or playing with your pets will boost your mood.
- Do something productive. Checking something off your to-do list is a great way to feel great! Actually making a list and physically checking an item off can help trick your mind to release anxiety.
- Get a good body scrub and/or lotion and pamper yourself. Scents go a long way in lifting your mood (see step one) so invest in one that makes you genuinely happy. You deserve it.
- Eat something green. Knowing you’re taking care of your body feels great. I like to make a smoothie with apples, avocado, kale, and fresh lemon juice. You could also whip up a salad with your favorite seasonal ingredients. Still not feeling it? Add extra veggies to your pasta and relish in the extra goodness.
- Pump up the volume. Studies show fun, positive music changes your brainwaves from negative to positive. Generally avoid heavy rock or rap for this. While I love both genres they can create a negative brain reaction. Bonus points for dancing.
- Get a (fake) tan. A little color can go a long way towards happiness.
- De-clutter. 15 minutes of cleaning can instantly brighten your mood. Did you know clutter increases feeling of anxiety in most people? Something as easy as tidying up your coffee table, putting away a load of laundry, or clearing out your dirty dishes can make you feel a lot better.
- Meditate. Everyone can do it.. really. And with This and thousands of other 5 minute guided meditation series out there you also are guaranteed to have time. There’s a reason people praise meditation, it can actually alter your brain to receive stress better and make you feel instantly calm. Try it!
- Talk to someone. In this digital age we’re more and more likely to engage online rather than face to face but humans are social creatures that need interaction. Call a friend, your mom, anyone. Better yet meet up for coffee or take a walk! Worst comes to worst turn to your best pet friend. Just gazing into mans best friend’s eyes can reduce feelings of anxiety and depression.
What do you like to do when you’re feeling down??