Happy Saturday to all of you beauties! It’s gloomy & doomy here in upstate NY…. aka my FAVORITE kind of weather. Haha. But seriously, I use days like today to catch up on “me” time. That usually includes a constant stream of hot coffee, some inspiration via books/magazines/blogs, a few cheesy romantic movies, and some serious pampering time.
Now, usually I just do the basics. You know, mani/pedi, facial, ect. BUT I recently discovered dry brushing and found it’s a great way to exfoliate and relax. Dry brushing also comes with some awesome health benefits.
It’s been said dry brushing can:
- Improve circulation
- Eliminate toxins from the body
- Improve blood flow
- Encourage lymphatic drainage (hence the detox)
- Rejuvenate the nervous system
- Improve muscle tone & even out fat deposits under the skin… goodbye cellulite!
Dry brushing is a quick and easy way to start your day or make your spa day extra special so I highly recommend it. It should generally be done before your shower, and usually only takes about 5 minutes! All you need is a natural bristle brush, mine is a boar blend but you want bristles that aren’t too flimsy or too firm. Aim for the middle!
- Start on dry skin. Begin on your ankle area. Gently move the brush in circular motions, and brush upwards towards the heart. Begin to move up the legs in the same circular motions, followed by long smooth strokes. Always brushing up towards the heart.
- Continue brushing up to the upper legs, stomach, back, and arms. Once you reach the chest/back area begin to brush down towards the heart. It’s important to remember to always brush towards the heart because that is where they lymphatic system flows, and will stimulate drainage (i know gross, but it leads to detox!)
- Once you’ve brushed your whole body, head to the shower to rinse off any dry skin cells and impurities.
- Follow up on your favorite moisturizer.
Important Things To Remember
- Always brush on dry skin.
- Never brush on irritated or sunburned skin.
- Skin on your chest can be more sensitive so adjust your pressure likewise & brush a little more lightly!
That’s all for now my loves!
Will you be dry brushing soon?!?