Hello loves, now is the time I once again apologize for being so MIA lately. My only excuse is that soo much is happening (preaching to the choir I’m sure as the holidays are stressful). Since getting back from California I’ve been working long hours at work, Elliott got a new job, trying to squeeze in Christmas shopping, decorating, family & friend parties, catching up with everyone, looking for a house…. just too much! Don’t think I forgot about my Cali post either, I’m just waiting until after the holidays for that one.
How about you all? How is everyone doing?! I’ve been trying to check in as much as possible from my phone but the app hasn’t been working! I miss you all </3
Anywho, I figured I’d squeeze in a post before starting to get ready for yet another party tonight. Though the weather has been pretty mild I know I’m still feeling the skin changes winter brings. Every year I go from combination/oily skin to still oily but way more dry and sensitive which poses a list of problems such as “how do I moisturize without adding more oil?”. This time of year a new crop of skincare problems arise for everyone, and it’s all dependent on where you live. I thought I’d break it down here & hopefully help.
Where you live …
Cold & Frigid.
If every year the temperatures drop to freezing, you find yourself very reliant on indoor heat, and you find yourself getting wind whiplash you’ll likely find your skin (no matter how naturally oily) gets dry, flaky, and even tight/sensitive around this time.
Plan of action:
- Go Gentle. Whether your skin is naturally dry, combination, or naturally oily it can still get dry! If you find yourself with any feeling of tightness, (the dry skin giveaway) flaking, redness, or dehydration (doesn’t bounce back), switch your soap to a creamy wash, balm, or cleansing oil. Try for all skin types try Neutrogena cleansing oil, for dry skins use Bobbi Brown Extra balm rinse
- Invest in a good mask. Whereas most steps focus on preventing moisture from leaving, masks are a great way to bring moisture back in! So you can’t skip them. Pamper yourself once a week with Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask which is super easy because you just apply before bed like a lotion and wake up with recharged skin.
- Whenever you’re feeling dry soothe your skin with a hydrating mist, which generally can be applied over makeup. Try Kiehl’s In-Flight Refreshing Facial Mist for a quick fix.
Humidity Year Round
Whether it’s warm or cold you have a bit of humidity in the air.. which is great for keeping skin plump and moisturized but tricky when you’re layering products in the winter (you want to avoid breakouts).
Plan Of Action.
- Try an oil. Face oils are having a major moment for a reason: they have the ability to moisturize & deliver nutrients to skin without clogging pores or being too heavy. Swap your night cream for natural avocado oil which can be found at most health stores for an insanely reasonable price, which contains vitamins and antioxidants and allows your skin to breathe.
- Detoxify with a clay mask. Clay has an amazing ability to purify skin and tone pores. It has been used for centuries to help draw out unwanted dirt, oil, makeup residue from skin. Cleanse first and apply one for 8-10 minutes, rinse and be done. My absolute favorite is Origins Original skin Retextruizing Mask
I’ve always wanted to live in a mountain state so lucky you! You get a lot of sun here, but given the natural high altitude need extra protection! The high altitude you live in puts you at risk for increased skin damage and earlier signs of aging.
Plan Of Action
- Start your day with antioxidants. Apply an antioxidant serum with ferulic acid and vitamins C and E first thing in the morning to help fight free radicals and sun damage. Try SkinCeuticals which comes at a high price but delivers maximum potency.
- Sunscreen Wisely. Try a facial sunscreen with PA +++ which is Japan’s PA rating. Basically it measures not only burn causing UVB rays but also wrinkle causing UVA rays (these rays have been known to also cause skin cancer). Fully protect yourself with a sunscreen that covers all bases such as Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++ which also works as a face primer.
- Remember your lips! Lips see sun damage too. They’re just as susceptible to skin cancer and can see aging damage so make sure to protect them with an SPF 30 or higher daily. Try Supergoop lip balm which has the added benefit of added Acai.
The lack of humidity that is your best friend in the summer becomes your enemy in the winter. Dry air can cause dry skin which can appear dull & make lines appear worse.
Plan Of Action
- Add Retinol. If you aren’t already using a Retinol product now is the time to start. It can help fade wrinkles & spots and tighten pores by producing collagen. It also helps to calm breakouts and smooth texture, really it does everything and you need it! Try ROC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream and follow with a lotion with calming ingredients like oatmeal or shea butter to prevent dryness.
- Exfoliate! The best way to get rid of dullness is exfoliation because it buffs away that top layer of dead (gross) skin which can make makeup appear murky and reflects light poorly. Not only that but your serums, creams, lotions.. none of it will absorb fully if you don’t exfoliate. Try Clinique 7 Day Scrub which is gentle enough for all skin types to use up to 7 days a week. Start by using it every other day and then work up to every day.
Well that’s all for now lovies! You have a great weekend 🙂